This is a little recipe that I made for the first time this week. I found inspiration for it on the back of a Waitrose recipe card and have chopped and changed it until it’s just right!
It’s the perfect wholesome meal that’s light on the tummy for the January detox season! My mum and I had it without rice and naan (they send her tummy funny) and just served it with some crunchy green beans. And boy was it delicious.
The recipe serves 3 (or 2 with a bit left over). If you’re scaling it up to make for a larger audience only increase the spices by half quantities (so for example the 1tsp of ground coriander – increase to 1.5 tsp if making for 6) as the sauce is quite strong as it is!
Lamb, Coconut and Cashew Nut Stew
- 50 g cashew nuts
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 cm piece of fresh ginger
- 2 good glugs of olive oil
- 350 g diced stewing lamb
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 half tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 crushed cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 400 ml coconut milk I used full fat, but half fat is fine
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Juice of half a lemon
- Chopped coriander to serve
- Blend the cashew nuts, garlic and ginger with 2tbsp of cold water to form a thick paste.
- Heat one glug of olive oil in a pan and brown off the lamb. Once browned removed with a spoon, leaving all the juices in the pan, and place on the side.
- Add another glug of oil to the pan and soften the onion over a low heat.
- Once the onion has softened add the cumin seeds, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick to the pan. Cook through for approximately 2 minutes.
- Then stir in the cashew nut paste and cook for another minute.
- Return the lamb to the pan and add 350ml of cold water. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Bring the pan to the boil and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the liquid has reduced.
- Add the coconut milk and garam masala and cook for another 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the lemon juice and scatter the top with the chopped coriander.
- Dish up and enjoy!!