Bolognese traditionalists LOOK AWAY NOW!
This little number is my tried and tested recipe for the most brilliant bolognese (even if I do say so myself!). It’s a stable in my diet, and I’ve been having it for years with pasta, in stuffed peppers, on baked sweet potatoes… really the list of accompaniments is endless – partly why it’s so brilliant.
It’s also packed full of veggies, which makes it technically healthy whilst being the most warming comfort food ever!
So buckle up, be excited and get stuck in team.
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 250 g lean mince
- 500 ml passata
- 200 ml water
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh chilli
- 1/2 tsp onion granules
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 red pepper finely sliced
- 2 handfulls of chopped mushrooms
- 1 carrot peeled, finely sliced into circles and then quartered
- 1 small courgette
- A handfull of cherry toms
- Salt and pepper
- 1 glass of red wine - optional
- Soften the red onion, fresh chilli and garlic cloves in a pan, before adding the mince. Cook for 1-2 minutes until browned.
- Add the passata, tomato puree, stock cube, balsamic, onion granules and garlic salt to the pan and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the water (the red wine if using) and all of the veg (except the cherry toms) and simmer on a low heat, stirring regularly for 35-40 minutes.
- In the meantime cook whichever accompaniment you've decided to go with.
- Add the cherry toms to the mix, and simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes. You may want to add a bit more water at this point if the sauce is drying.
- Dollop a big spoonful onto your pasta/potato/pepper, sprinkle with a good dose of parmesan and enjoy!